Center Advocacy Network
Become a Community Advocate
Victim advocates provide confidential and non-judgmental support, education, resources, & referrals to on and off campus entities following experiences of interpersonal violence. Aiding a client with filing a protection order, calling a social service on behalf of a client, helping a family member or partner of a victim/survivor find resources: these are examples of advocacy.
As a victim advocate you will be discussing options with a victim/survivor and providing information, referrals, and support to victims/survivors of interpersonal violence, and their loved ones. You will be essential in helping to empower someone to make decisions, take action, and move through a crisis.
Email [email protected] for more information.
CAN Makes History
The Center Advocacy Network makes history as one of two advocacy training programs in Nevada and the only advocacy program in the United States to focus on LGBTQ issues.
Accelerated 6 Day Course
CAN provides comprehensive LGBTQIA+ advocacy training in 12 meaningful sessions, 1 day per week for 6 weeks. Training sessions and materials are free to all attendees.
The training I received here was top notch and I highly recommend for anyone interested in advocacy work!
Center Advocacy Network’s next session begins January 2019.
Interested participants can attend a program orientation.
December 4, 2018 • 5-6p • The Center’s Wynn Boardroom
December 11, 2018 • 5-6p • The Center’s Wynn Boardroom
Saturday January 12, 2019
- Session 1 • 10a-1:30p • What to Expect • Holly Reese
- Session 2 • 2:30-6p • LGBTQIA+ • Holly Reese
Saturday January 19, 2019
- Session 3 • 10a-1:30p • Sexual Assault & Violence • Lisa McAllister
- Session 4 • 2:30-6p • Stalking • Judy Henderson
Saturday February 2, 2019
- Session 5 • 10a-1:30p • DV/IPV • Kiande
- Session 6 • 2:30-6p • Mental Health • Laura Deitsch
Saturday February 9, 2019
- Session 7 • 10a-1:30p • HIV 101 & Sex Education • Connie Shearer & AJ Huth
- Session 8 • 2:30-6p • Sex Beyond Stigma • Laura Deitsch
Saturday February 16, 2019
- Session 9 • 10a-1:30p • Communication, Listening & Ethics • Sybrina Bernabel
- Session 10 • 2:30-6p • Cultural Humility • Holly Reese & Elena Espinosa
Saturday February 23, 2019 – Graduation Day!
- Session 11 • 10a-1:30p • Mandated Reporting • Wanda Porter
- Session 12 • 2:30-6p • Resources, Laws & Policies • Sara Bartel & Rebecca Salazar
See What's Happening
Explore our calendar to discover social and support groups, activities, opportunities for involvement, and cultural events.
Donate to The Center
We rely on generous contributions from supporters like you to maintain our free to no-cost community programming.
The Center relies on the generous dedication of its volunteers to help us provide free and low-cost services to our community.